First I want everyone to know that we're doing well. If you've been watching the news you've probably seen New Bern or the Eastern Coast on there a lot. Well we've had a frustrating weekend but hopefully it's getting resolved soon. So here's what's been happening with us.
Recently we've noticed the house gets really warm starting around 3pm and it stays hot until the sun goes down. We're living in an "EnergyStar" home (or that's what we thought) so this is not the typical scenario. We spoke to our property manager and they scheduled a technician to come out and take a look at our A/C unit. Turns out that it's not the A/C that's the problem. The tech filled us in that there's NO insulation in our attic/ceiling. That means all the A/C we've been running is just dissipating out our roof. Luckly we've got a company coming out tomorrow to install insulation.
The other dilemma is that we currently don't have any power at the house. I'm actually sitting at Panera Bread right now. We've lost power on Saturday and Sunday. We lost it for about 3 hours on Saturday due to the heat. Then yesterday around 5:30pm we lost it due to a huge storm that passed through. After reading several stories on the news, I'm just glad we didn't have any damage to any of our property. Luckly, my obsession with candles came in handy. While we still had daylight I pulled out all the candles and placed them around the house. We had a nice dinner of BBQ chicken and steamed green beans that we made on the grill and Eric and I had a "romantic" dinner by the candlelight. If we're trying to make the best of the situation, it allowed us to just sit and eat without all the distractions. Although....he still had to study. He pulled out all his papers and was studying at the kitchen table with the candlelight.
Other than our warm humid night of sleeping....life is good. Eric's got a SIM today and I'm going to pick up several bags of ice to see if I can salvage some of our food out of the fridge and freezer. Like I said earlier....there's a lot of people without power and we're just thankful there was no damage or injuries at our house. Flight school and life will continue.....
We love you and have enjoyed all the visitors we're getting, another bright side to living in New Bern (that and the fact that Yuma's heat is a whole new story)
No comments:
Post a Comment