Friday, May 10, 2013

Next Stage in Progress

Hello All!!!
I'm excited to tell ya that our house progress is in full swing and Eric has officially finished his training with the Harrier!
First things First....Eric! He's completed all his flights that are within the curriculum for VMAT-203. He's still technically a part of 203 but will be joining up with VMA-231 (Ace of Spades) at the beginning of June. The big thing that's happening for him is SERE school. I take him to the airport tomorrow morning and he'll be flying out to Maine for SERE. SERE stands for Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape. Although most of it's classified and we won't most of the details about what happens there, there are a couple things that we know. The first week is mostly class-style and the second work is all "field" work. By the way, saying "field" work is putting it mild. They're basically dumped in the woods and have to survive on their own until they get captured. Which they always get captured. This training is useful in case the guys ever have to put their plane down in unfriendly territory. Think of the movie GI Jane, without all the movie effects. All I know is that Eric will probably come back 5-10 pounds lighter and have some bruising. We've picked up a couple guys from the airport when they've returned from SERE and there's a quiet humility that they all exhibit. Whereas I would be dreading this, Eric and every guy I've talked to gets excited about this. Eric's really good with differentiating real life and mind games so I don't see him getting caught up in the training. It'll mostly be a physical thing for him (I think). Being that Eric will most likely be the highest ranking officer there, he'll be the one that's in charge of everyone and will get the brunt of it.
He should be coming back into town in two weeks and from there he'll have a couple flights with VMAT-203 to keep current before he checks into VMA-231 in June.
We're still set to close on May 30th. I've talked to the superintendent on the job and he said that it's cutting it close but they can do it. The only thing that would push back our closing date is if they're not able to get the appraisal done but then. As of now, we have had a lot of progress in the last day. Yesterday (and today) our electirical was getting finished up. We now have light fixtures, faceplates on outlets, and light switches installed. The walls are painted and although they'll need to do a bit of touch-up, it looks completed. Cabinets were delievered yesterday and I saw the cabinet install people out there this morning. The shelving in the closest were also installed, although they did a pretty bad job on some of the placements. Nothing that Eric and I can't fix with a nail puller and hammer. I get so excited going by the house around 5:30 to see what's happened that day. Our backyard has been smoothed out and seeded. They haven't put the sod down in the front yard yet but it's getting closer. We still have flooring, gutters, trim work, appliances, and final touches to finish but we still have 20 days! I hope I'm not being to hopeful in the closing date but if it changes...then we change. Our plan is to move into the house the first week of June. The one big blessing was that right when we were about to lock in our rate it dropped down to 3.25% which saves us about $100 a month. Wahoo!!!
We can't wait to see everyone and I want to wish a early Happy Mother's Day to all our mom's in our nice, big, extended family!!!
Love you All!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment