Thursday, April 14, 2011

In And Working Out Details

So everything is in and we have internet and cable so it's time for a long post to tell you all about our journey from Milton to Meridian. We'll start from the beginning and I'll fill you in on the packing, loading, moving, and unloading. Before I get into it I just want to say how amazed and how thankful I was of the people who helped us. Eric sent out a text before we left asking for help and sure enough two guys (one of which I've only met once, the other I've never met) showed up at noon, right on the dot when Eric wasn't even back with the Uhaul. They had the house loaded in the Uhaul in no time and it was packed tight! It turns out we estimated our stuff to be about 6,000 pounds but instead it was 9,980 lbs! As you all know I was stalling on packing up the kitchen and out of no where another Marine wife named Cassie gives me a call asking if I need help. She came over and our kitchen got packed in an hour. I'm talking perfectly packed too. Nothing broke, it was perfect. I can't say how thankful I am of those three that showed up and it meant so much to Eric and I! So then I worked on cleaning up the house that night and we put our mattress in the living room and camped out our last night.

The next morning we met with a guy from the housing office and we checked out. He told me that it was one of the cleanest houses he's seen ever. He did say that you could tell that dogs lived there but we left out a couple types of Febreze for that fact, and we knew they would steam clean the carpets between tenants so we weren't that worried. We loaded up with Sasha and Eric in the Uhaul and Zoe and me in the Mazda.
 
We filled up with gas, got the vehicles weighed and then we were off to Meridian. We drove straight to our new landlord's office, picked up the keys and then went to the house. I have to brag on Eric a bit because we had a 26' Uhaul with a full vehicle tow attached to the back. Overall I would say that it had to have been 40' long in total! Eric backed it into our tiny little driveway with the house on one side and big bush-trees on the other side. He unloaded the car off the tow dolly and then turned the Uhaul around so we could unload through the front door. I went through and took detailed photos of the house before we moved anything in because it is an old house and sometimes property managers like to take advantage of military when they move out. There were so many things that were the matter with this house. Our closet hang bar was no longer hanging, it was just sitting on the floor. There were cobwebs in the windows and nobody bothered to dust the blinds or window seals. Overall, it's a cute little house and since we're only going to be here for about a year it'll do great!
 Now for the unloading! My friend Alison (who happens to be 8 months pregnant) came by and brought a friend who I've heard about but never met. He's been here for a little over a year and has only 3 flights left and will be winging in June. Between him and Eric they had the Uhaul unloaded in a couple hours and Alison and I were unpacking boxes as they came in. We took everyone out to dinner at about 9pm to a really good mexican restaurant. It was great because every Tuesday, most of the mexican restaurants here do buy one get one free. Eric's been doing little projects around the house getting the "construction" fixes taken care of before he classes up on Monday and I've been unpacking boxes and making it feel a little more like home. Surprisingly, because of all the closet storage items we already owned, we got all of our clothes put away in our tiny master closet and the guest closet too.
Eric went in last Monday to check in and he actually got a checklist of things that needed to be done before he classes up and starts ground school on Monday. Now until he's really in it I don't know much of the details of his studying and how it will actually go but I know there's going to be a lot more away time for him in this step then there was in Primary. He'll be doing carrier qualifications towards the end of the training where he'll actually leave the house for a week to go live on a boat and practice taking of and landing from a carrier.
Here's a couple quick things that I've found just by searching the internet for what is to come.
Here's a link that gives a summary of his new squadron (VT-9): 
https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/tw1/vt9/index.asp
And a picture of his new patch:
 
And a picture of the T-45C Goshawk that he'll be flying:
 Once again, as I learn more I'll be blogging more! And once we get the house all decorated and put together I'll be posting pictures of it too. As of now I do have a couple up that you can see at www.gallowayadventure.shutterfly.com
We love you and can't wait to have visitors here!

No comments:

Post a Comment