Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Adventure Continues (in flight and in life)

Well we've had some new progressions here. First, and what I'm most excited of is that I got an upgraded version of my wedding ring.

We went 2 weeks ago (on Mother's Day Sale weekend) and purchased a 3/4 carat anniversary band. It's not the traditional route but we haven't really followed that route anyways. I love how low-profile it is. There's no single stone that sticks up and gets caught on anything and it's so shiny! I didn't realize how much I would like the ring because I didn't think I was much of a jewelry lover. I usually wear the same sets of earrings and the same necklace everyday. Watch out everyone because now that I have some "bling" I might just go really girly!!! Tutu's and stilettos here I come!

On another note and a more serious training note. Eric's training is moving right along! He's done with ground school which means he's no longer just sitting in a classroom, listening to some guy jabber on for hours. He's now doing sims with instructors who have actually flown the T-45. He hasn't been on the schedule for the last couple days because we think they're trying to catch some other guys in his class back up because they had to go to California to do the CFET (which Eric has already done). Currently they're working on B.I.'s (Basic Instruments) and E.P.'s (Emergency Procedures), then they'll move to R.I.'s (Radio Instruments). It's rumored that RI's is the hardest part of flying because you have no visual to work from. You're flying the jet strictly on your gauges on the panel. The student sits in the back seat and is actually under a hood/tent so they can't see out of the canopy. His first flight (which will be R.I.'s) could be a week away or a month away. It all depends on the schedule and how quickly they push him through.

In the meantime he's been going in and doing "practice sims" which just means that if a sim station is not taken he can sign up and run his own sim or go with a friend and they can control the panel while the other one is flying. He also is able to do what's called a "trunk" flight. What that means is that if an I.P. (instructor pilot) is going up on his own with nobody in the backseat of the plane then Eric can ride in the back to get a feel of the plane and what's going on. The name "trunk" flight came because it's like you're riding as if you were a trunk/luggage in the back. The one trunk flight that Eric did was because an I.P. was flying beside a student doing his form solo. There's a board up in the squadron building that shows the trunk flights available but you can't go on a trunk flight that's too far away from your stage of training. He's checking the board everyday but so far there's only been that one that he was able to get.

Yet on another note, we've been enjoying friends here and really enjoying our large backyard. For the last 3-4 weekends (including last night) we have everyone over to hang out and make smores and hang around the fire pit. There's not a lot to do in Meridian but I've actually enjoyed the quietness and how you really get to just sit and enjoy friends and talk as opposed to being distracted by going out all the time. Eric and I have become much more of "homebodies" and are liking how quiet Meridian is.

I'm working on employement opportunities here. They're opening a brand new large gym on base and I've already talked to Beth (head lady of the gym) about a job but because she can't give me an idea on the opening of the gym I'm not sure when or if I'll have a job and when it would start. She said I could also use the facility for my own FORCE Fitness clients (since the clientele is made of military spouses who have access to the military gym). While I've been waiting on that job, I got a call from insurance agency in town who's offered me a position just based on my resume. I told them I'd check back with the gym before I give them an answer. I don't know which either one is paying but I'd rather work at the gym and get back into my field then be working with life insurance all day (at least it's not sales though). Either way it will help us pay off debt and put money away in savings.

Well that's about the summary of what's been going on here. Until next time.....We love you all and can't wait be around family again!

No comments:

Post a Comment