Sunday, September 25, 2011

Long Update Part 2

So I think I reached the character limit on the last post because it went ahead and posted it. I'll start from where we left off.
While in Quitman, we got to watch real "lumberjacks" master the art of lumberjacking! Those videos and photos are also posted at www.gallowayadventure.shutterfly.com
They threw axes, had a long running/rolling contest, race while climbing up a log and cutting, and used the saw to create a cactus.
The main event (in my eyes anyway) was the Improptu Dog Contest that we didn't know was happening. It was the last thing on the agenda and we were there for it. For only $5 we registered Sasha in the Most Talented division. Eric went on stage with her and balanced treats onto her nose (3 treats to be exact). She took first place! Did I mention she was the only dog in the talent division?!? Didn't matter because none of the other dogs (in the whole contest) could've beaten her! Here's the video from the iPhone and pay no attention to the announcer...He started to get more and more corny as the show went on.
Alright....so now we're to the usual update on Eric's training!
Eric has his last two flights of Div form (flying with 4 planes together in formation). He'll do his Safe for Solo flight and also his Solo flight to finish that block off. After Div Form is Tac Form (flying 2 planes together in tactical situations). There's 4 flights in that block. After Div Form is Night Fam then finishes I-Jet (intermediate Jet, Phase I) with FCLP (field carrier landing practice).
In FCLP he'll practice landing on a specified "carrier box" which is the same size as the carrier platform he'll be landing on in Phase II on the actually carrier boat out in the Atlantic.
So...if all goes well with weather and training he could be finishing up Phase I in the next couple weeks and starting with the "fun" stuff. In Phase II is where he'll be doing the "real life" simulations in the Jet. He'll go to El Centro, California and drop Smoke Bombs. The Smoke bombs are suppose to simulate a real bomb and it's 25lbs and lets out white smoke on impact. He'll also be doing air-to-air combat (dog-fighting) where he'll be flying 1-VS-1, 2-VS-1, etc..." And last but not least is the carrier Qualification. It's typically the last thing the student does before winging.
Talking about winging....I think I've gotten to most everyone about an after winging Cruise trip with the family. I figured it would be a good time for us to all get away and celebrate this time of Eric becoming a Naval Aviator. I wanted to work on some type of "get-a-way" because depending on what he selects we may be moving to Yuma, AZ, San Diego, CA, Lemoore, CA, Miramar, CA, Beaufort, SC, or Cherry Point, NC. What that means is that there's a chance we'll be moving far away and visiting won't be as convienient. We figured if we made the usual tour of NC then we only get to spend 1-3 days with each person whereas if we all go on vacation together we get all time together!
Well...I think I'm up to date on everything. We love you all and can't wait to get to spend time together again!

No comments:

Post a Comment